In the digital age, businesses rely heavily on technology to manage their operations. From email communication to cloud storage, technology is an indispensable part of everyday business. However, like any other tool, technology can fail or break down at any time.
As a business owner or manager, when you encounter technology issues, you have two options. These are: Break Fix IT and Managed IT Services.
Break Fix IT:
Break Fix IT is exactly what it sounds like. It is a service that repairs or fixes an IT issue when it occurs. When you experience a problem or a breakage, you call an IT service provider who will diagnose the issue and provide an appropriate solution.
It is a reactive approach, meaning that the IT service provider will only be called upon when something goes wrong. The service is charged on a per-incident basis or hourly rate, and there is no guarantee that the problem will not happen again.
Pros of Break Fix IT:
1. Lower Cost – Break fix IT services are cost-effective compared to managed IT services because you only pay for the services that you need.
2. Experience – IT service providers that offer break fix services tend to have a wealth of experience dealing with a wide range of issues.
Cons of Break Fix IT:
1. No Proactive Support – In the break fix model, IT service providers are only called upon when a problem occurs. Thus, they don’t monitor your system for vulnerabilities or suggest improvements.
2. No Long-term Strategy – Since break fix IT providers work in reaction to a problem, they don’t have a long-term strategy for your IT infrastructure.
Managed IT Services:
Managed IT Services is a proactive approach to IT support. With Managed IT Services, an IT service provider monitors, manages, and maintains the IT infrastructure. They are responsible for providing ongoing support, minimizing downtime, and keeping your system up-to-date with the latest technology.
Managed IT Serviced Providers offer monthly or yearly contracts, and they provide ongoing support which includes patching, monitoring, and security updates.
Pros of Managed IT Services:
1. Proactive Support – With Managed IT Services, the IT service provider continuously monitors your system and provides proactive support to prevent issues from occurring.
2. Expertise – Managed IT Service Providers are experts in their field, providing ongoing support and advice to help optimize your IT infrastructure.
Cons of Managed IT Services:
1. Cost – Managed IT Services cost more than Break Fix IT because you pay for ongoing support, monitoring, and maintenance.
2. Limited Flexibility – Managed IT Service Providers have a set of procedures and protocols they follow, which may not suit some businesses.
When choosing between break fix IT and Managed IT Services, it is important to know the needs of your business. If you have a small business with limited IT infrastructure, you are better off with a break fix IT service. However, if you have a larger business with complex IT needs and require continuous monitoring and support, you are better off with a Managed IT Service to ensure business continuity, security, and productivity.