In our modern, technologically-focused world, businesses rely on computer networks to conduct their daily operations. From email and internet access to sales and inventory tracking, almost everything a business does is connected in some way to a network. It’s no wonder then that so many businesses place the utmost importance on network security!
And especially so when you consider that the median cost of a cyber attack for a business was $18,000 in 2022 (up from $10,000 in 2021).
In this blog post, we will discuss 10 reasons why network security is so important for businesses. We’ll also talk about the dangers of not having adequate network security and how it can lead to disastrous consequences for companies.
What Exactly is Network Security and How Do Businesses Use it to Protect Their Data?
Network security is a broad term that covers a variety of measures taken to protect the integrity and confidentiality of data on a network.
These measures include:
- Firewall protection – A firewall is an important tool for businesses when it comes to protecting their networks from external threats. It acts as a physical or virtual barrier between the company’s internal networks and the outside world, blocking malicious traffic while allowing legitimate connections to pass through.
- Encryption – Encryption involves encoding data so that only those with access to the encryption key (usually a password) can read it. This makes it much more difficult for hackers to steal sensitive information from businesses (or perform ransomware attacks) since they would need both the key and knowledge of how to decode the data.
Make the Most of our Network Security Services BEFORE You’re Cyber-Attacked!
Our managed cybersecurity services can keep you safe and reduce the cost of a data breach!
- Antivirus and anti malware software – Antivirus and antimalware software are essential for creating a secure network and protecting it from malicious viruses, malware, Trojans and other cyber threats.
- Intrusion prevention systems (IPS) – IPS monitors network traffic in real-time to detect any unauthorized attempts at accessing data or networks. The system then takes measures to block the attack before it can do any damage, making it a highly valuable tool in the pursuit of information security.
- User access control – User access control is an important security measure for businesses to ensure that only authorized personnel have access to sensitive information on their networks (and unauthorized users don’t). This is done through authentication processes such as passwords, biometrics scans and two-factor authentication protocols.
Why is Network Security Important? The Top 10 Reasons and What Can Happen if You Don’t Have it
1. Data Loss Prevention
Despite the best efforts of businesses, it’s not always possible to keep all data safe from cyber attackers.
However, having an effective network security system in place (and don’t forget about application security either) can help minimize the potential damage by preventing unauthorized access and ensuring that confidential information is kept safe.
2. Avoiding Regulatory Fines
Many regulatory bodies impose hefty fines on businesses who fail to comply with security requirements such as GDPR or PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard).
Having a robust network security system in place helps ensure that your business is compliant with these regulations and avoids costly penalties.
3. Improved Efficiency
Network security solutions can help improve a business’s efficiency by providing better control over access to the network.
This means that only those with the right authorization can access sensitive data on the networks, which significantly reduces the potential for human errors and unauthorized access to confidential information.
4. Mitigating Risk
Cybersecurity threats and the resulting security breaches are constantly evolving and becoming more sophisticated, making it difficult for businesses to stay one step ahead of attackers at all times.
Having network security protects businesses against these risks by providing an extra layer of defense against malicious cyber threats.
5. Protecting Reputation
A business’s reputation is everything, and any breach of security can have a devastating effect on its brand image, especially where client data is concerned.
Via effective security measures, businesses can ensure that their customers’ personal data remains secure and their brand reputation remains intact.
6. Reduced Costs
Having a solid network security system in place significantly reduces the costs associated with responding to, repairing and recovering from security incidents.
Safeguard your critical data with key learnings from these inside-industry articles:
This can save businesses time and money in the long run, as well as helping protect their bottom line from expensive fines imposed by regulatory bodies.
7. Maintaining Trust
Building trust with customers is one of the most important aspects of any business’s success, and this requires that customer data is kept secure at all times.
By using effective network security solutions, businesses can demonstrate their commitment to protecting customer data and keep customers coming back for more.
8. Improved Productivity
Cybersecurity threats are not only costly to a business’s finances, but they can also have a detrimental effect on productivity.
By investing in effective network security solutions, businesses can reduce the potential for cyber attacks and ensure that their employees are able to work without fear of disruption or data loss via a strong and well-protected network connection.
Many industries now require businesses to adhere to certain standards when it comes to protecting sensitive customer and personal information.
For example, organizations that store credit card information must comply with PCI DSS standards (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard). Having an effective security system in place helps ensure compliance with these regulations and avoids costly fines.
10. Peace of Mind
Last but not least, having an effective network security system in place gives business owners peace of mind.
Knowing that their data is safe and secure gives them the confidence to focus on other business operations, allowing them to concentrate on what really matters – growing their business.
Why Do We Need Network Security? Advanced Networks Has the Answer for You!
From protecting confidential data to avoiding costly fines, network security is an essential part of any business.
At Advanced Networks, we understand the importance of maintaining a secure IT infrastructure and have the experience and expertise necessary to help you protect your business from cyber threats.
Contact us today to learn more about how our network security solutions can help keep your business safe.